Monday, June 20, 2011

The New Living Translation - The NLT and Others

I'll throw this out there to give this topic a well-rounded perspective.

There are 2 basic Bible translation techniques:

Literal (or word-for-word)

and

Dynamic Equivalent (thought-for-thought).

The NLT is a dynamic equivalent translation. Here are some links to Michael Marlowe's site that explain this-


Against the Theory of ‘Dynamic Equivalence’ - http://www.bible-researcher.com/dynamic-equivalence.html


Michael Marlowe is a true scholar. He's pretty smart too. I reference his stuff all the time. And, yes, you can see for yourself that his words about the NLT are not complimentary.

Mr. Marlowe can take the "Majority Text" (greek) and read it to you in English I believe. I can't do that. For guys like me, I think (this is MY opinion, not necessarily his) he would recommend a NASB for study.

I have one of those too, and I use it quite a bit.


--

No comments:

Post a Comment